Dr. Jayaraman Mahadevan
Dr. Jayaraman Mahadevan
Director, Research, Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram
(A Scientific Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) recognized
by the Department of Scientific Industrial Research, Government of India)
1. He holds a PhD for his research on “The Doctrine of Tantrayukti” from the Department of
Samskrit, University of Madras, which he did with a research fellowship from the University
Grants Comission(2005- 2010).
2. Besides this, he holds Post graduate degrees in Samskritam, Journalism and Mass
Communication. He was the university first Rank holder & gold medalist both in his under
graduate (BA -Philosophy, Education and English Literature) and postgraduate degrees (MA –
Samskrita). He also holds a diploma in Mansucriptology.
3. His work and interest in the field of Samskrita and Yoga stems from the educational training that
he received in traditional Gurukula system for six years in Veda Vijnana Gurukulam, Bangalore
(1998 – 2004). He underwent training in Taittiriya shakha of Krishna Yajurveda, Prasthana traya
(Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and Brahmasutras) and Yogasutras of Patanjali with various classical
Samskrita commentaries in the Gurukulam (1998 – 2004). He also taught Upanishads and
Vyakaranam in the Gurukulam for a year after his studies (2004-5).
4. He has undergone the three semester Yoga teachers training in the prestigious
Krishnamacharya tradition in Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram. (2015-17)
5. He is also trained in interactive teaching methodology of Samskrita Bharati to teach Sanskrit
and serves as a volunteer (since 2004) of Samskrita Bharati, having conducted many spoken
Sanskrit short term programs.
1. His work in Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram includes critical edition and translation of hitherto
unpublished works of Yoga that are inscribed in palm leaf and other such material. He has
worked to produce editions, compilations and translation of texts and papers related to yoga.
His efforts in this direction has thus far yielded 10 books in the field of Yoga. He has translated
in entirety Vyasa’s commentary to Yogasutras into Tamil which was published in three volumes.
2. He has participated and presented papers in numerous seminars and conferences in India and
the USA and Bangkok. He has also been an invited speaker in various academic events on Yoga
and Samskrita organized by various academic and research institutes.
3. He also published 8 research papers in Indian and international peer reviewed research journals
4. He is in the review board of International Journal of Yoga, philosophy, psychology and
parapsychology. He is member of Board of studies of the department of Yoga and Spirituality,
SVYASA University Bangalore.
5. He also gives lectures on Yoga and the Vedas to Indian and international students, who attend
various courses at Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram.
He regularly blogs at –
1. mantra-artha.blogspot.com – it is a trilingual blog (Sanskrit, Tamil, English) where he discusses
meanings of various important Vedic mantras
2. alarka-bhashitam.blogspot.com – it is a blog where he posts his Sanskrit metrical compositions
(over a hundred verses thus far) with translations.